Thursday, June 02, 2005

(not so) Deep Thoughts . . .on Deep Throat.

I have been fascinated by the whole Watergate affair for as long as I can remember. Although I was only 9 during the summer of 1973, I remember actually watching some of the testimonies during the hearings and especially remember John Dean. I also vividly recall the night Nixon resigned, realizing even at age 10 that this was certainly not something that happens every day. If you ask me what one of my all-time favorite movies is, "All the President's Men" comes near the top. By the way, as far as books on the subject, H.R. Haldeman's "The Ends of Power" is among the best.

So, after 30 years, the mysterious source for Woodward and Bernstein has finally been revealed. Turns out to be the number two guy at the FBI. To me, this was all very anti-climactic. The identity of Deep Throat had been so closely guarded and the subject of so much speculation. Names like Alexander Haig were thrown about, as well as many others. Bob Woodward said he would certainly reveal the identity some day, but only after the individual had died. Now, all is revealed in an issue of Vanity Fair magazine which features Nicole Kidman on the front cover. The scoop of the century revealed in a magazine most famous for having a nude, pregnant Demi Moore on the cover. Like I said, kind of anti-climactic.

So Deep Throat was this old man in a walker named Mark Felt. Okay, he's 91 now, but that's the image we'll have of him now. They are trying so hard to paint him as a hero, but I don't think that's going to stick for very long. The obvious critics like Pat Buchanan said he's anything but a hero. But even Chuck Colson did not give this guy a break, and if anyone would, it would be Colson. I've already heard the comparison as to what if the number two guy in the FBI today was out leaking secrets? Yes, they would be crucified for doing so. Felt seems like he was a disgruntled employee ticked off because Nixon didn't appoint him in charge of the FBI. I'm sure he has a book ready to go. I suppose Woodward and Bernstein had a book ready to go to, as soon as Deep Throat's identity had been revealed. They are probably not too happy with Felt coming out with this after they were so committed to keeping it secret for so long.
Get ready for a bunch of Watergate-related articles and news programs in the near future. Which is fine by me, because it is still holds a great deal of fascination to me. In fact, I think it's time to get out my video of "All the President's Men."

No comments: