Friday, June 02, 2006

Civil Political Discourse

Yesterday at work, during a reception for one of our fellow staff members that is leaving, several of us were talking politics. As to be expected in a state university, I was the lone Republican outnumbered by 6 Democrats.

We were talking about the 2008 election and who would run, what the issues would be, etc. All this was done in a very polite, non-confrontational manner. One of the staff members commented how nice it would be if all political debate could be like this, and not so divisive. I agree, it would be refreshing. But that will probably never happen, and both sides are equally to blame.

I did find it interesting that my fellow Democrats, which numbered 5 women and 1 man, all thought the idea of a Hillary candidacy in 2008 was a very bad idea. They don't think she can be elected. I agree, but figured that was just because most Republicans think that. I figured they'd all be in favor of her running, but they definitely do not feel that way. They are not sure who should run. I mentioned Al Gore, and they laughed. Someone mentioned Bill Clinton being allowed to run again, but no one wanted him back in either. I decided to have a little fun and said that maybe Jeb Bush will run in 2008. They obviously didn't think that was too good of an idea.

No comments: