Friday, June 16, 2006

A Pleasant Surprise

Today was staff appreciation day at IU South Bend. The whole day is set aside for fun and games. At the opening breakfast, the Chancellor gives some remarks and then employees are recognized for their years of service (those for 5 years, 10 years, etc). Then they give an award to a staff member called the Spirit Award. This is voted on by the professional staff and goes to a staff member that best exemplifies going that extra mile for students, staff and faculty alike.

Well, this year, the award went to me. I was pleasantly surprised and also quite honored that my fellow colleagues viewed me in this light. I am not one that seeks the spotlight or looks to have my deeds at work constantly confirmed or uplifted (no ego to stroke here). But knowing I have the respect and admiration of those I work with really was a nice gesture on their part.

No comments: