Thursday, August 24, 2006

Yes, I Still Watch Survivor

My wife and I have been devoted Survivor fans ever since season 2, when Tina beat out Colby in the Australian Outback. Yes, it's mindless reality t.v., but it's fun to watch. It's also fairly kid friendly so it's one we all can watch (like the other mindless entertainment, American Idol).

But after this past season, I was pretty much thinking I'd had enough. Then came yesterday's announcement about the new season. They will initially divide into four differen tribes along racial lines. One Black, one Latino, one White and one Asian tribe. I figured that would be an immediate lightning rod for controversy and sure enough, last night on one of the talk shows, it was already being discussed.

This will certainly give a spike in the ratings for Survivor. Yeah, I'll be there to tune in to see how it all pans out. Although, as a Survivor veteran, I know full well that how the tribes are divided initially does not stay that way for long. If one of the tribes gets decimated early on, they'll quickly mix things up. It has happened every time.

No comments: