Tuesday, September 19, 2006

20 Seconds of Fame

As I began to leave the stadium after the conclusion of the Notre Dame v. Michigan game this past Saturday, I looked down and saw this woman running at full speed toward the tunnel, evidently chasing down a player. I thought, that sure looks like someone I know. Sure enough, it was Michelle, one of our former student workers at IU South Bend who has been interning with NBC Sports. She gets to roam the sidelines and hopes to someday be a sideline reporter. On this day, she was chasing down one of the Michigan players for an interview.

Michelle attends IU Bloomington now. I e-mailed her and asked her if she did indeed catch up to the player to pull him back for an interview. She said she did, although she said players were running everywhere and she was just praying that she didn't get run over. Her mom, who works here at IU South Bend, said that there was about 20 seconds on the NBC coverage where you could see Michelle running after the player.

By the way, Michelle is a big Steelers fan and she (and her mom) severely taunted me when they beat the Colts. I told her that I hope someday she ends up interning with the Colts and has to chase down Peyton Manning for an interview after they beat the Steelers.

Meanwhile, at Notre Dame stadium, I had my own "Rudy" moment. "Hey, I know her, that's Michelle! She's so little!"

No comments: