Friday, January 12, 2007

Have Mercy on Me, But I Don't Like This Music

For years I have tried to become a fan of Christian band, MercyMe. They are by far one of the most popular bands around, and their CD's sell very well. They hit it big with "I Can Only Imagine" and have never looked back.

But, I just don't get all the fuss. I still call their debut album one of the most painfully bland albums I've listened to. I rented it from the library multiple times, trying my best to become a fan. But, their music just doesn't do it for me. It all sounds very much the same, and just has nothing memorable to it (quick, name three of their songs; you can't do it, can you?).

I finally broke down and bought the latest MercyMe recording, "Coming Up to Breathe." I listened through it once (fast forwarding most of the way), and now it sits somewhere buried underneath some empty drink cups in my car. More of the same blandness I've come to expect from them. Why are they so big? I just don't get it.

Their music sounds like a continuous Phil Collins loop. I know I'm onto something there because I was told that at their recent concerts, they opened with "In the Air Tonight" and closed with U2's "I still haven't found what I'm looking for." So, even the band themselves admit they aren't very original. If I have to give them any credit, it's that their Christmas album is pretty good. But then again, those are covers of other songs.

For Christian bands that hit it big, I say more power to them. But for this group, I have to conclude: overrated in a big way. Y'all keep buying their CD's, though.

2 comments:

sdennie said...

Five songs from the first two albums: I Can Only Imagine, Here Am I, Word of God Speak, How Great is Your Love, and Spoken For. All of which the band has done at Anchor. I learned to appreciate their music by playing it.

Casting Crowns is a clone of MercyMe, and I often get their songs confused (If We are the Body, Voice of Truth).

Rick Dennie said...

That's good. MercyMe and Bon Jovi both need their loyal fan base.