Monday, January 15, 2007

Starbucks Challenged

I don't drink coffee. Not at all. In fact, I've never even tasted a drop of it. Just never cared to. I get my caffeine fix via Mountain Dew and other soft drinks in the morning.

My wife is addicted to Starbucks. I'm usually not with her when she gets one because this is her treat. But recently, we went through the drive-thru at a Starbucks so she could get her fix. Now, I've never ordered at Starbucks before. When I want a drink, I go through the drive thru and it's basically, "large Pepsi" and that's it. But ordering at Starbucks was much more complicated. After a brief orientation session as to what she wanted, we made a couple dry runs before approaching the drive-up speaker. What Dorene wanted, was, quote, a "venti decaf sugar-free cinammon dulce latte." That's a total of 14 syllables for a beverage (which, by the way, costs much more than my large Pepsi).

Well, when I started into the order, I botched it by the time I got to "sugar free" and had no idea what I was ordering. Furthermore, I started laughing and Dorene was busting up. The person taking the order probably figured we had already had one too many lattes. I finally got the order out right. But from now on, Dorene is on her own at Starbucks and needs to do the ordering herself.

No comments: