Thursday, May 03, 2007

Helen Welker: 1914 - 2007

This past weekend we traveled to Ohio for the visitation and funeral service for my grandma. This was not an unexpected passing and was in fact very much desired by grandma. Her body had been shutting down for the last week and she finally passed away last Thursday afternoon, moments before she was headed to hospice care.

So there weren't really many tears at the funeral, except those of people looking back at some fond memories of grandma. She lived a wonderful life and together with Grandpa Welker, raised 4 great kids.

All 6 of her brothers were Nazarene ministers, which is pretty amazing. Her last surviving sibling, Doyle, is in his late 80's and he spoke at the funeral. I could have listened to him all afternoon. He was really good and indicated he's not done on this earth yet. With the energy he still seems to have left in abundance, I believe him.

Many other family members from Oklahoma, Arizona, and Colorado were there. It was nice seeing everyone again. The last time was in 2002 for my Uncle Dick's 90th birthday celebration/reunion. Not sure when we'll all gather together again. I guess it'll be for a funeral again, but I'd rather not have to think about that for now.

Once the funeral was over, we all waited out in the lobby or outside for the casket to come out. I was one of the pallbearers, along with five other cousins. As I was waiting inside, I stepped back into the place where the service was at and looked at grandma one last time. I watched as the funeral home employees with great care placed the coverings over Grandma, lowered here into the casket, and then finally closed the lid. Hmm, I realized I was the only family member in there during this time so it struck me that I was the last to see her face on this earth.

We drove out to the gravesite for the internment and then everyone stuck around for a while. When you only see family members once every several years, you don't necessarily want to get up and go too quickly.

I don't have as many memories of Grandma because we moved out west when I was in Kindergarten. But what struck me on this day was a sense of gratitude for the life she lived. You see, she raised her kids in a loving, Christian home. One of those kids was my mom, who raised us in a loving, Christian home. I am now raising my kids in the same way.

That's quite a legacy, Grandma, and I just want to say thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Rick Mom and I realy appreciate what you and Steve have both been blogging about your Grandma.
She was, along with Orren, a great person.
DAD