Thursday, August 23, 2007

Being Chastised by the Eye Doctor

For the last few days, my left eye has been really red. Not really painful, but just very red and irritated. I've had this before but have always chalked it up to my contact lens causing it. So, I kept putting in my lenses anyway, figuring it would clear up.

Well, yesterday afternoon, the pain started to get a little intense, and any sunlight at all was literally blinding me. So, I called the eye doctor to see if I could get in. Luckily, there was an opening. So I drove over, which I had no business doing. I had to pull over about 4 times because I was at the point I was sqiniting so bad I could barely see out of just one eye. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Well, I finally got there and was subjected to the worst experience ever at an optometrist. For over an hour, he kept putting drops in my eyes and then looking at them through this extremely bright light. He'd pause, put in more drops, then back to the light. I was about to confess my links to terrorism so Mr. Bauer would stop the torture, but finally he was done.

It just so happened Dorene was there for Cameron's annual exam. The doctor spoke to her and said that if I had kept putting in my lenses, I could have lost the eye. It turns out I have a severe cornea infection. It's a good thing Dorene was there because I could not drive home by any means. Dorene had to walk me to the car because I couldn't open my eyes.

Added to the torture was the fact we had to take my car, which has no air conditioning and it was over 90 degrees on this day (she drove in our van, but we left it there because the brakes are going out). Yikes, what else could happen? The sunlight was so bad that I had to throw a jacket over my head to block out all light, which made me look like a major dork to people driving by us. We finally got home and Dorene made me, per doctor's orders, put in eyedrops on the hour.

I don't think I'll need much persuading this time to seek out the doctor if my eye starts acting up again, because the experience yesterday with the drops and bright light was one I don't care to go through again.

No comments: