Monday, August 06, 2007

My Luck with the Cops Runs Out

It's been a while since I've been stopped by the police. It's been a loooong while since I've ever gotten a ticket from being pulled over. I've gotten lots of warnings, but rarely actually get a ticket (insert obligatory Steve-gets-pulled-over joke here).

So, a few weeks ago, we are all headed to Meijer on a stretch of road where everyone does about 60 mph (see, I'm already going with the "everyone else does it" defense). Well, I was actually going 52 mph but there was a cop sitting in what was a sneaky speed trap. The speed limit goes from 40 to 30 to 40 real quick. Well, he got me in the 30 mph zone.

But, I figured I'd still be okay. I went with my usual admit-what-I-did-wrong defense and say that he had every right to stop me. But, I knew immediately this wasn't going to work. The cop as he walked up to me said, "Yeah, I was going to stop the car before you, but you came along and were going much faster." I knew right then that nothing was going to spare me from the ticket this time. He conceded that I was very nice and everything but still had to give me the ticket. Part of me wanted to cry out at the injustice of it all. Yes, those red mini-vans are a real nuisance and should be pulled over. The cop really had an attitude of "Ha, Gotcha!" and then lectured me on how much worse it could have been, yada, yada, yada. But, whatever, just give me the ticket.

When we finally got to Meijer, Cameron was very, very reserved. We asked him what was wrong but he wouldn't answer. Basically, as we ultimately found out, he basically thought daddy was going to get hauled off to jail and it really had him rattled. I mean, it really bugged him a lot. So much so that he reminds me every minute he's in the van now for me to slow down.

I do slow down now, because today I mailed the fine that I owed . . . . . . .$181.50!!!!

1 comment:

sdennie said...

All I can say is: it's about time.