Saturday, February 02, 2008

Super Bowl

Our church is having a Super Bowl party on Sunday night. Well, I guess I should say we are having a gathering of people from our church in which the television may be turned on and coincidentally be tuned to a broadcast originating from Arizona (there, hopefully that will satisfy the copyright hungry NFL and they won't try and shut us down).

This game will be historic. Either New England will finish 19-0 or it will be the biggest upset since . . . .the other New York team with Joe Namath. I am pulling strongly for the Giants. I'd love to see Peyton's little brother take the mighty Patriots out. Can you imagine the endorsments that would follow? Back to back championships featuring two brothers. Maybe Eli can join in Peyton's "Priceless Pep Talk" commercials, although no one can top Peyton's now classic Saturday Night Live sketch teaching football to those kids.

Then again, the game could be over before halftime, because the Patriots could just totally blow them out (in which case, the game becomes secondary to the commercials). If it's close by the 4th quarter, that doesn't bode well for the Giants. Lots of teams this season got close, but could never put them away. I think the Giants have a shot and I hope they can do it, because I don't really want to see Moss, Belichick, et al celebrate.

No comments: