Friday, May 23, 2008

Indy Returns

Saw the new "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" tonight. Unfortunately, I would call it a rather major disappointment. Maybe that was inevitable, given that it's been almost 20 years from the last one. But this just didn't have the zip or humor of previous installments. The plot was very confusing at times and I wasn't always sure what they were doing and why. The theatre was full and there was very little reaction from the crowd.

The movie was set in 1957, which may also have taken away from the enjoyment, since we were used to seeing Indy battle Nazis. Was just strange seeing him in a more modern setting. Harrison Ford looked good, but the movie overall just didn't grip like the others.

One of the cable networks was replaying all the other Indiana Jones movies recently, and I'd often watch part of them. Boy, those were good. Especially the first one. I have always considered "Raiders of the Lost Ark" as my single most enjoyable movie-going experience. I saw it before it went into general release as a sneak preview. You had to first sit through the 80's masterpiece "Take This Job and Shove it" (huh, never heard of it)? Then, you got to see this new movie, of which I knew nothing more than it was a Lucas/Spielberg collaboration. But wow, what a movie. I don't think I've ever been to a movie that had the crowd so into it. It was great. I went back and saw this in the theatres 4 more times, mainly so I could be there and witness the crowd reaction when Indy shot that master swordsman.

No comments: