Thursday, May 01, 2008

Summer Movies

The brainless summer movie season officially kicks off this weekend with "Iron Man." That one looks like it might be pretty good, although I'm a little leery of comic book movies because there are so many of them now. There's new versions of "Hulk" and "Hellboy" on the way too.

What I'm waiting for is the new "Indiana Jones." The preview looks great. Then the other one I'm most excited about seeing is "The Dark Knight," which takes on a rather poignant tone with Heath Ledger passing away earlier.

Other movies may be hit and miss. There's a version of "Get Smart" with Steve Carrell that could be really funny . . .or really dumb. Of course, the kids will want to see the new Pixar movie, "Wall-E," and no one will want to go with me to see "Mamma Mia," the ABBA musical (they are one of all my all-time favorite groups). A new X Files movies is coming out, although I wonder what appeal that'll have now so long after the series heyday, and how the series kinda fizzled out.

Last year was the summer of Part 3 movies, and most were pretty weak. I haven't heard much of anything else coming out, but definitely I'll be there for Indiana Jones and Batman. Of course, there's also "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2" which has to win the award for the sequel absolutely no one was crying out for.

No comments: