Thursday, June 05, 2008

Notes from the Sports World

Stanley Cup - I watched the last two minutes of the finals last night. Detroit won it against the Penguins from Pittsburgh. Okay, I was waiting for the news to come on, that's why I was watching hockey on t.v. Hockey is only enjoyable when seen live, when you can really hear the guys getting crunched against the glass.

Lakers v. Celtics - Certainly brings back memories of the Bird v. Johnson match-ups in the 80's. I remember watching those finals and they were definitely exciting. I'm not sure if this one will live up to the hype. I have a feeling the Lakers could take Boston out in 4. If Kobe gets hot, it's all over, and I'm not sure if Boston will be able to contain him or not.

Belmont Stakes - I only watch horse racing this time of year, in particular when a Triple Crown is at stake. Big Brown is going for it this year. Based on his performance in the Preakness, he should easily win. But then again, so should have several other horses over the years, who easily won the first two races, which is why there hasn't been a Triple Crown winner since 1978. That year was Affirmed v. Alydar, which I followed very closely. Affirmed won the Belmont Stakes literally by a nose. I was a big Alydar fan, so I was disappointed. Actually, I was very disappointed because I didn't see the race live. For some the reason, the local CBS affiliate in California didn't run the race.

Baseball - Cub fans around here are excited once again. They are in first place. So are the White Sox, but they aren't the loyal diehards that Cub fans are. Could this be their year? This will be the 100th anniversary of the last time they won a World Series, so what better time than to break through. I'm sure somewhere Steve Bartman is hoping for redemption. If they do get to the World Series, it would be justice served to have him throw out the first pitch.

No comments: