Saturday, September 06, 2008

Oh Yeah, McCain Gave a Speech

As I suspected, McCain's speech was a big comedown from Sara Palin's the night before. He didn't do badly, it just wasn't all that exciting of a speech to listen to. Palin easily overshadowed him.

However, parts of the speech were actually quite bold. He really surprised me by saying how the Republican Party let everyone down. He said they "went to change Washington, and Washington changed us." He gave some not so subtle jabs at Bush/Cheney (and I imagine in private he'd like to rip them to shreds and totally separate himself). Where was Cheney by the way? I read that he was somewhere in eastern Europe, far, far away. In fact, overall, you just don't see much of Cheney at all anymore. Not that I'm complaining.

I read a quote from Rush Limbaugh that said that even if the Republicans lose in November (which he completely expects), McCain has done a lot to bring about change in the party and give them a future. I agree. Picking Palin was a good step in the right direction to put a different face on the party. I've always felt they needed to sit this one out and retool.

Well, gotta go. Headed off to the promised land, er, that is, Notre Dame stadium for the season opener against that powerhouse from the west coast . . .San Diego State.

No comments: