Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Back in My Son's Good Graces


Last spring when I returned home from a table tennis tournament without a trophy, Cameron was very disappointed. He asked if I was done forever playing table tennis. Guess he figured I was washed up if I couldn't bring home a trophy every time (the previous tournament I had brought home two).

So, this past Sunday, I played in the Highland Open tournament in northwest Indiana. Played well enough in one of the events to bring home a 2nd place trophy pictured above. Probably should have finished first, because the kid I lost to I regularly beat at the South Bend club. But he was on his game and I just couldn't get past him.

In fact, it seemed like I was playing kids all day. I skunked a couple of 10 or 11 year olds. I kinda felt like Kramer in the "Seinfeld" episode where he's taking karate lessons and beating up on kids. But then again, I also lost to this pipsqueak of an Asian girl that was rated one point higher than me and took my butt out 3 games to 0. Truth is, I let up. Okay, no I didn't, I was trying to take her out. Which does sound odd, I'm fighting for all I'm worth to beat this young girl that was probably in the 4th or 5th grade (tops).

I'm hoping I gained some rating points. I beat a guy almost 200 points higher than me, but the kid that beat me for the first place trophy was almost 200 points lower than me, so I probably broke even. Will try again next May at the annual tournament at IU South Bend.

No comments: