Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Notes from the World of Football

  • No surprise here in South Bend, Charlie Weis was fired at Notre Dame. When he took the job, he said a .500 team just didn't cut it. Well, after back-to-back 6-6 seasons, he was right. Don't shed too many tears, Notre Dame has to pay out the remaining 6 or 7 years of his 10 year contract they stupidly gave him a few years ago. The coach that seems to get mentioned the most as his replacement is Brian Kelly from Cincinnati. The last coach Notre Dame got from that town was Gerry Faust.
  • I don't care who plays for the BCS Championship, because the usual suspects Texas, Florida, Alabama, etc. have all been there. It won't interest me at all. However, what WOULD interest me would be to see Boise State have a shot. I'd be watching that one.
  • At this point, can anyone even touch the Saints? They are absolutely crushing everyone they play, but don't always get the headlines. They remind me of the St. Louis Rams when Kurt Warner joined them and they came out of nowhere and just cruised through the season en route to a Super Bowl victory. This just may be one of those years for the Saints, with a Purdue quarterback leading the way.
  • Say what you want about his being wishy-washy, but Brett Favre is having an incredible year for the Vikings. If my Cardinals don't make it back to the Super Bowl this year, that's the team I'd like to see get in from the NFC (just as long as they lose to the Colts).
  • South Bend is losing the College Football Hall of Fame next year. So hurry on up if you don't want to miss it. Let me know if you come, maybe I'll join you. It would be my first time visiting, too.

No comments: