Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Who Dat Next to Freddie Simpson?

Okay, so who exactly is Freddie Simpson? Well, he's the President of the Rail Teamsters Union, which is part of the national union run by James Hoffa.

He is also Dorene's uncle, who we see when we are down in Kentucky for family reunions (and being a supportive member of the extended family, I still have a Hoffa/Simpson bumper sticker on my car when he ran for union president back in 2006).

Now I know when I think Teamsters, I tend to think of the old rough and tumble days with Jimmy Hoffa, bodies buried in the end zone at Giants Stadium, that sort of thing. But I've met "Uncle Freddie" several times and he is the nicest guy you'd ever meet. Very laid back, soft spoken. I imagine to rise to the top of a union you have to be fairly forceful, but then again, maybe nice guys do indeed finish first. I've always been very impressed with him.

Recently, Dorene's parents visited her grandmother, who is in her 90's and in a nursing home, and showed her the above picture. Now, of course, her mind sometimes isn't like it used to be and she kept asking, "Who is that standing next to Freddie?" They told her it was the President, then a few minutes later, she again asked who that was standing next to Freddie. She asked the same question a couple more times while they were there, just not sure who that man was standing next to her son.

So, sorry about that Mr. President, but for this old lady in Kentucky, you're not the celebrity in the picture.


No comments: