Thursday, October 12, 2006

The Return of Bob Seger

One of my all time favorite artists is back with his first new CD in about 10 years. I just love Seger's music and I've listened to him longer than any other artist. Nothing fancy about his music, just, as his signature tune says, good "old time rock and roll." No angst-driven songs, just fun music.

Growing up, Seger was the perfect music to listen to while driving around in a pick-up truck. Of course, I drove a Toyota Tercel, so maybe the effect wasn't quite the same. His two live CD's, "Nine Tonight" and "Live Bullet" are two of the best crank it up rock CD's ever. I would love to have seen him in concert during his heyday (something I'm jealous of my sister-in-law because she did get to see him back in the 70's).

His new CD has several good songs,plus a duet with Kid Rock, which I really like. Kid Rock's music contains a lot of Segeresque type songs, and his "Live Trucker" CD cover is a direct homage to the "Live Bullet" CD. Although I liked Kid Rock's CD, there were a few too many instances where he used words that rhymed with "trucker" (if you know what I mean). Speaking of Kid Rock, did you see him on Country Music Television performing with Hank Williams, Jr? That was really good!

Thank you Bob Seger for coming back. You've been missed.

No comments: