Monday, January 08, 2007

Cowboys, Colts and Ohio State

I wouldn't want to be Cowboys QB Tony Romo right now. He had a great year, coming out of nowhere and taking the Cowboys into the playoffs. All he had to do was catch a snap and hold it there for the kicker. It was a kick shorter than an extra point. That's it. If the kick is good, then the Cowboys go ahead and likely win the game. But he fumbled it. Not because of a bad snap. He caught it just fine but couldn't put it down on the ground. Romo-mania is on hold for now. I read that 5 fans greeted the Cowboys on their return to the airport. Dallas fans don't like to lose.

The Cowboys are the team I have rooted for the longest. I loved watching them during the glory Tom Landry "America's Team" days. They were very much loved and very much despised during those years. But you had to appreciate the teams of Roger Staubach, Tony Dorsett, Drew Pearson, "Too Tall" Jones, Randy White, "Hollywood" Henderson, etc. They were quite the team. But then things started to fall apart. Landry was unceremoniously fired after Jerry Jones took over the team. That was bad enough. So who do they hire to replace him? Jimmy Johnson, coach of the much-despised University of Miami. Yeah, yeah, he won the Cowboys a couple of Super Bowl titles, but I never liked him as a coach at Miami, and didn't like him as coach of the Cowboys.

Finally, he left. Luckily I wouldn't dislike the next coach, because the only coach I disliked more than Jimmie Johnson was Barry Switzer from Oklahoma. But they would never, oops, wait a minute, they hired Switzer. You gotta be kidding! Yes, Switzer brought them another Super Bowl title, because this was during the Troy Aikman and Emmit Smith heyday. But it was hard to root for them during this time because those two coaches I just didn't care for. The only one left to bring in that I don't care for would be Steve Spurrier.

As for my other team, the Colts need to play much better against the Ravens than they did against the Chiefs if they expect to advance to the AFC Championship. I'm hoping the Patriots can knock off the Chargers, because I feel better about the Colts playing them then heading to San Diego. As for the NFC, the Saints are a great story and I'd like to see them keep going. Around here, all anyone talks about is 'da bears, who I really think are going to 'da lose next week, despite their 14-2 record.

I can't say I'm that excited about watching Florida-Ohio State tonight. It just doesn't hold that much appeal. I'll periodically check-in to see the score and stick with it if it's close in the 4th quarter, but it just doesn't hold much interest for me. If Florida wins, that could cinch the move to a college playoff.

No comments: