Monday, September 03, 2007

A Big Pile of #*^#$, Part II

Last year, I went to the Notre Dame v. Michigan game. At the conclusion, a fan uttered, "That was a big pile of suck." My friend Peter called me late Friday night and said he had a ticket for the Georgia Tech game the next day, of which I quickly said yes.

After about the second play from scrimmage, it was obviously going to be a long day. This will be a rebuilding year for the Irish. Notre Dame doesn't do rebuilding years very well, so coach Charlie Weiss isn't gonna have a great time. They went through three quarterbacks en route to a 33-3 loss. The one bright spot was when the third quarterback came in, a freshman by the name of Jamie Clausen, who was the #1 recruit last year. For a freshman, he looked very poised and made some great throws. My friend and I said that maybe if this kid becomes a star, we can look back and say, "We were there when . . ."

The biggest cheer of the day? That was simple. When they announced that Division I-AA school Appalachian State beat #5 Michigan, the place went crazy. Sorry Michigan fans, but it's gonna be a very long time before you live that one down. That's a team Michigan brought in on opening weekend as a sacrificial lamb to beat up on. It's been rightfully called the biggest college football upset ever.

No comments: