Wednesday, June 25, 2008

When Hillary Came to South Bend (the rest of the story)

Back in April, during her "Last Gasp Tour" for the presidency, I went to see Hillary Clinton when she came to town. I was able to get up real close and at the end, get her autograph as she was making her way out. There was more to how I was able to get real close, and as Paul Harvey would have said, " . . .and now, the rest of the story."

While I stood in line for Hillary, some of her campaign workers were making their way down the line and asking for volunteers to step out of line and have a chance for a "red ticket." This red ticket would get you on the field and closer to Hillary, instead of just being in the stands (but no, it wouldn't get me in to see Willie Wonka).

But to get a red ticket, you had to stand there with a small group of Hillary supporters and yell out "HILLARY" while the other group yelled out "CLINTON" and back and forth. After watching a group of people do this, I'm thinking, no way, not gonna happen. So, the volunteers continued their way down the line.

Meanwhile, I kept waiting for the gates to open. A bit later, the campaign volunteers came back again asking for more people wanting a chance to get on the field. So this time, I'm thinking, what the heck, when will I ever get this chance again? So, I walk over with a group to get my coveted red ticket.

Here then, is the scenario: Rick Dennie, lifelong Republican, is standing with a group of Democrats yelling out the name of one of the more despised people to ever cross paths with the GOP. Just so I could get a closer look at this person with a last name that drives conservatives crazy.

It's just about now that mom and dad are probably rewriting their will.

No comments: