Sunday, February 01, 2009

Cardinals: Oh, the Agony
Oh my, what a heartbreaking loss this was, after what looked like a thrilling comeback. When Larry Fitzgerald broke through on that touchdown late in the 4th quarter, the room erupted (I was at our pastor's house, and everyone was rooting for the Cardinals). Although all of us were a little leary of giving the Steelers so much time left to score, which of course they did. I think had the Cardinals got blown away, it would have been much easier as it would have been simple to say they were outmatched. But doggone it, they could have won this thing. For Cinderella teams like this, you gotta close it out.

A bunch of "what ifs" on this one. What if the Steelers didn't score before halftime? That was huge. What if the Cardinals defense would have sacked Roethlesberger more? It seemed like he was always getting away when it looked like they had him cornered. Then that last drive. Where was the defense? They just got picked apart. However, that final touchdown pass was perfectly thrown and Holmes made an amazing catch, with 3 defenders around him.

I guess there's always next year and maybe this will finally bring the Cardinals into the fold as one of the league's top teams after being so down and out for so many years. We'll see if Warner comes back or not, I figured he may have retired had the Cards won. But boy oh boy this was a frustrating loss and Cardinals fans will have a hard time forgetting the image of Harrison rumbling and stumbling for that touchdown before halftime.

2 comments:

hipperken said...

I agree with everything you said in this post. I do not think the Cards ever really had a chance though. I am not a conspiracy theorist but I think the officials leaned in favor of the Steelers. Of the six Steelers interviewed after the game I do not remember ONE of them congratulating the Cards on a well-played game or well-fought battle - but Rooney thanks Obama? I think my exact words after Rooney thanked Obama were,"I THINK I MAY VOMIT". I agree with Rush on this: Why are people putting so much hope in Obama (or any other person for that matter) and in gov't to "recue" them and the country when they should be doing for themselves and each other?

hipperken said...

Uhhh, ..."reScue" them...