Monday, December 28, 2009

You Gotta Be Kidding Me!!!

We were in Kentucky over the weekend with my in-laws. When I say Kentucky, I mean in a remote area with no t.v. or internet access. Thus, I heard no news. On the way home today at a restaurant, I happened to see a sports wrap-up show (with no volume) and noticed the Colts lost. Yikes, I was afraid that might happen, because the Jets are a good team and had to win to keep their playoff hopes alive.

But when I got home, I decided to get the scoop and find out what happened, and I am totally aghast at the coach. A chance for history and they don't even make a feeble attempt at capturing it? Why did Manning not go back in when the Colts lost the lead? I didn't see the game, but I imagine Colts fans all over were screaming at their t.v. to put Manning back in.

So, the Colts are in the playoffs and have home field advantage throughout. Yeah, whatever. You know, it's going to be kinda hard to get totally excited about them in the playoffs. They could win the Super Bowl but there's always going to be a big "What If . . ." hanging over the season. They had a chance to be one of the all time great teams. A loss to the Jets would have been disappointing, but to lose in the fashion they did just really casts a pall on the entire season, no matter how it ends up.

As for the coaching decision, it only gets worse the more you read. I read a column by Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star. He made the following observations about games earlier this season:

The Colts led Arizona 31-10 in the fourth quarter. Manning was behind center the entire game.

The Colts led Seattle 31-3 with eight minutes left. Manning was in there until the bitter end.

The Colts led at Tennessee 31-9 with five minutes remaining. Manning was in there, as usual.

Same with the game in St. Louis. Complete blowout. Manning was behind center in the fourth quarter.

Yeah, I'll stop now because this is going to keep me ticked off for a while.

No comments: