Thursday, February 25, 2010

Sending My Taxes to Fresno

Today I mailed my completed tax forms to the IRS in Indianapolis for my state return and to Fresno, California for my federal return (that's the mailing label I was provided). Wait a minute. Fresno? Not a city that probably many people know about, but seeing as I grew up in California's San Joaquin Valley, I know exactly where it is. So, here are my Fresno memories:
  • We actually lived 60 miles south of Fresno in a little town called Pixley. Don't even try and tell me you know where that is. Compared to Pixley, traveling to Fresno was going to the BIG city.
  • Fresno is the raisin capitol of the world. In the 3rd grade, we took a field trip to the Sunmaid raisin factory. At the end of the tour, you get a box of raisins. In the 5th grade, we toured the olive factory in Lindsay, California and you got to sample olives. I much preferred touring the Hershey chocolate factory as a kid.
  • We traveled to Fresno a lot because they had a big Christian bookstore that my dad liked to go to. They also had a nice big mall.
  • Not nearly as popular as the Ft. Wayne Komets, but we occasionally ventured out to see the Fresno Falcons hockey team.
  • I really got into Fresno State University basketball in the early 80's. They had a good team and went all the way and won . . . .the NIT tournament. Hey, it was still exciting for that part of the country. Go Bulldogs!
  • In the early 80's, Fresno was named the worst city in the country, and there was a mini-series called "Fresno."
  • All the t.v. stations we got were based in Fresno. I remember once while on spring break with a college friend in Flint, Michigan, we turned on the news and there was a former sports anchor from Fresno. Hmm, went from Fresno to Flint (which also at one time was named worst city in the country).
  • Nothing much exciting happened around Fresno, except for one time in the neighboring city of Chowchilla in 1976. A school bus full of kids were kidnapped and buried underground in a semi-trailer. That was one of the first 24/7 news stories I remember following. It turned out good, as all the kids were rescued, but everyone was riveted waiting to hear news, because nothing like that had ever happened anywhere.

Take good care of my tax forms, Fresno. Send me a refund, but you can hold the raisins.

No comments: