Sunday, February 21, 2010

Working the ACT

IU South Bend is a testing site for the ACT, so many Saturdays I am on campus administering one of these exams because I'm the site coordinator. This past Saturday, I gave the ACT Explore, which is a pre-ACT exam designed for elementary age students.

It's a pretty easy gig. I just need to arrange the rooms and other workers, and make sure all materials are held in confidence and returned immediately. Students are always easygoing and follow the rules. Even though the verbal instructions ask if anyone has any questions, I don't think anyone's ever asked a question in the 15+ years I've been doing this.

Of course, I wasn't at the ACT Explore exam in January, when one of the elementary age kids did have questions/suggestions. It was after the break and the adminstrator asked if there were any questions. This 5th grader pipes up, "Yes, how about if we go around the room and have everyone introduce themselves." So, they did that. Then, the same kid asks "How about if we find out what everyone wants to be when they grow up?" So, they did that too.

Oh yeah, why wasn't I at this particular exam? Well, I was playing the role of the parent this time around and as such, wasn't allowed to be an administrator. So, yes, that was Anna in the testing room getting everyone to introduce themselves and disclose their future ambitions (my colleague said, "your daughter is a real trip"). If you don't know my daughter, let me tell you that is pretty much par for the course. Put her in a group, and she's already getting them organized.

2 comments:

hipperken said...

Anna is a community organizer! She should run for president!

sdennie said...

She's well on her way to being Summer in "School of Rock."