Sunday, May 02, 2010

At the Table Tennis Tournament

Today I played in the 46th annual St. Joseph Valley Open table tennis tournament. This year it was held at a brand new facility at Holy Cross College (across the street from Notre Dame and where "Rudy" first attended). I went in having come off a horrible tournament last November where I didn't win a single game and was hoping to do better.

That I did. I came home with a 3rd place trophy in one of the events I entered. I know, you're asking "So what 10-year old oriental kid did you have to beat to get this trophy?" Well, first of all, he was only seven . . .

I ain't kidding. There was this little dynamo that was the star attraction of the day. Every time he played, there was a crowd. I drew him in my final bracket of the day. I called Dorene and told her I was about to play this kid that was a little shorter than Cameron (our 8 year old). I watched him play and he was moving all around the floor, not missing too many shots. When it was my turn, I quickly dispatched him in the first two games, because his weakness was, well, he was so doggone short he had no reach. I hit it to the opposite side and he couldn't get there. Well, at least at first. By the third game, he was moving even quicker and returning a lot of shots I thought were winners. Although, he was so small, I look over and all I see is this paddle waving around furiously. I can't believe how quick he was. He took a game off me, but I came back and won game 4 easily and the match.

So, here I am, 38 YEARS OLDER than this kid. Of course I want to win, but it's oddly conflicting to rejoice in your triumph over someone born in 2003. Although I wasn't the only one having trouble, he was giving lots of older players fits. Although older is a relative term . . . everyone he played was older, anyone younger and they'd be in diapers.

So, I took out little Michael Tran and advanced. I was oh so close to advancing to the finals but lost a 5-game match to a kid from the South Bend club, who is irritatingly nice, so it's hard to get upset at him for beating me. But at least this time I came home with a trophy, something I hadn't done in a couple years. I still have a little bit left.

Note to Steve the next time you are at the Fort Wayne Club. I told a few of your club members sitting close by (Ron Forks, Ricky Reed and others) to take a vow of silence and not tell you I barely beat the little pipsqueak Michael.

No comments: