Monday, October 30, 2006

The Fitted Sheet Monopoly

This past weekend we spent a lot of time getting our house cleaned up so we can sell it. My parents came up for a few days and were a huge help. My mom is great at getting things truly clean. Our definition of clean is completely different. What we say is clean, my mom would say is dirty, and so forth.

She also organized our linen closet, with every towel and sheet folded perfectly . . .even the fitted sheets. Now my method of dealing with these are to crumple here, crumple there, and stuff in the closet. But that's not how it looked on this day. There lay our fitted sheets perfectly flat and square.

How could this be? She demonstrated and said that "Chaney Bergdall's wife" had shown her how to do this. Wow, flashback, flashback, flashback. I remember one day while I still attended Huntington College that Steve and I had lunch with the Bergdall's. He was a professor at the College. At Steve's request his wife came down the stairs with a fitted sheet to demonstrate. So, it appears she is the nation's sole expert in this task.

Now, the way she showed us, and the way my mom showed us, was to do a fold here, a fold there, and voila, a perfectly folded sheet. But, that's pretty much like my brother Stu explaining the "simple" steps to repair a transmission. Yeah, you can show it to me, but I'll never be able to do it.

So, at least for now, people looking to buy our house will see perfectly folded fitted sheets in our linen closet. But, we need to sell quickly. Once we have to wash the sheet currently on our bed, it's back to the "crumple" technique.

No comments: