Monday, October 30, 2006

The Mid-Term Elections, Part I

We're at T minus one week until the 2006 midterm elections. If everything pans out as being reported, then the Republicans will definitely lose the House and quite possibly the Senate. What exactly will happen? I can't say I really know for sure, but here is what I think:

Since the Republicans are expected to lose, I'm not sure they are in that bad of a position. If they end up losing the House, then the news coverage will reflect that everything panned out as it was expected to. I for one think it could be a very good thing for the Republicans to lose. It would give them a chance to start afresh in 2008. The Republicans in Congress have been a disappointment of epic proportions. Even my mom is disgusted, and when you have a solid Republican like her disgusted, then you know you're in bad shape.

It's really the Democrats that have the most to lose. What if they DON'T win the House? It's been practically pre-ordained that they are going to win back the House. Oh the finger-pointing that will take place if that doesn't happen. But you never know. Their whole campaign is basically based on "We're not the Republicans." That could put them over the top this time, but they are a party deeply divided, so once they get in, who knows what'll happen. I know polls have the Democrats leading, but polling data in 2002 and 2004 turned out to be less than reliable.

If the Democrats do take over, I hope they do a great job. I'm not a hyper-partisan in that I hope things go bad for them (as many of my fellow Republicans would indeed to). Republicans have done a horrible job and deserve to be out of power. I feel sorry for Nancy Pelosi, because she is going to get hammered as the new Speaker if the Democrats get in. She'll be under intense pressure to have hearing after hearing and go after everyone, maybe even begin impeachment proceedings. I doubt the intense partisanship ends if the Democrats take over, but if it did, and they were the reason, more power to them.

I think that the party that can redefine itself stands the best chance for victory in 2008. For the Republicans, that means showing a wee bit more concern about the environment, health care, the poor, and not giving every break conceivable to the corporations. Also, not using abortion and gay marriage as the measuring stick for whether or not someone is worthy to hold office. For the Democrats, they need to quit being so afraid to talk about God on the national stage. Recognize that sometimes, character does matter, and that there are a host of moral values that people actually do consider important. I know you try to be as inclusive as possible, but if you tick off a certain segment, then just live with it. If you are anti-war, then don't just say it, vote it too! I don't think anyone is unpatriotic for being against the war in Iraq. I have much more respect for someone that says "bring 'em all home" and votes that way, than for someone that says that in a speech but then votes the Bush line when it comes to crunch time.

My prediction? The Republicans maintain a very slight hold on the House and the Senate, which will make for an upcoming two of the nastiest years in recent political history. It could actually open the door for an independent candidate because the partisanship will reach an all-time low.

No comments: