Monday, June 11, 2007

Farewell to the House on MacDougall

Last Wednesday, I walked out of our old house in South Bend for the last time. The new owner arrived in town and I stopped by to pick up the last of our stuff.

Strangely enough, absolutely no emotion from leaving a house which was the first house we bought after being married, where our kids spent several years. We so love our new house that we just don't think about the old one. The kids haven't asked once about going back. Of course, neither Dorene or I are terribly sentimental about these things either. Hey we moved, we're in a new place, and that's that.

In fact, I can't ever remember regretting a move. When we moved from Pennsylvania, I was too young to really remember much. When we moved from Lake Havasu City, I don't remember wishing I was back in Arizona. This even after moving from a resort city in the desert to the bustling metropolis of Pixley, California.

Leaving Pixley was no big deal because it was off to college. After that, moves were from my parents house to apartments and back again. After getting married, we were in an apartment, a rental house, then the house on MacDougall.

Lots of memories there, but I've been used to moving a lot, so it was no big deal. Anna's only regret? There's no ice cream truck where we're at now.

No comments: