Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Skipping Church . . .But For A Cause

I had to miss church this past Sunday because of needing to be at work. Well, actually, I didn't necessarily have to be there, but volunteered to do so. Beginning at noon on Saturday, we had a dance marathon at IU South Bend to benefit the local homeless shelter. This event has been very popular at the Bloomington campus for many years, so it was decided to try it up here.

Advertising was huge, and they even brought in Regis Philbin to kick things off. In talking with our director of student life, I found out that the greatest need for help was during the final couple hours on Sunday morning. No one wanted that shift because it was towards the end when energy would be low, no celebrities would be in attendance, and it was during church hours. I guess you could have a debate over skipping church for this, but aside from the good cause, I was more sympathetic to assisting my fellow colleagues. Many of them I know would've rather been in church, but by the nature of their job, had to be there. They themselves would also be totally exhausted, so the more help, the better.

I haven't heard final dollar amounts, but the event was a success. While I was there Sunday morning, the crowd had really thinned out. A few diehards that had danced the whole 24 hours were still there and an 80's cover band was finishing things out (I hadn't heard Autograph's "Turn up the Radio" for years). They finished off with everyone dancing to what has evidently been a YouTube sensation, "The Evolution of Dance." It's a group dance-along to this guy who goes through a whole bunch of dance moves in about 6 minutes. It seemed kinda fun . . .to those that know how to dance.

So, I don't think I'll burn in hell for helping out with a "dance"event on Sunday. Now, playing ping-pong on Sunday, that could do me in (which does happen in a couple weeks).

No comments: